Welcome to the t2linux wiki!
This wiki contains knowledge about running Linux on Macs with the T2 chip. A list of those devices can be found on Apple's website.
- Some kernel versions, notably
5.9.xare known to have issues. See the releases (those not marked as a pre-release) of aunali1/linux-mbp-arch for ones that have been tested. Keep in mind that some might very have reached their end of life
- It is highly recommended that you use the stock Apple boot manager for all distributions, other boot managers like rEFInd have been known to cause issues.
To get started with an installation, refer to the roadmap
In general you can find most of the people involved on the Linux on T2 Macs (2018+) Discord Server, making it probably the most helpful and important resource of all.
Different distributions are maintained by different people in their own repositories. If the distribution you want to use has a guide here, its recommended to follow it instead of the instructions given in one of the repositories or otherwise official documentation by distribution vendor, as it considers t2 support.
- Arch https://github.com/aunali1/linux-mbp-arch
- Fedora https://github.com/mikeeq/mbp-fedora
- Manjaro https://github.com/JPyke3/mbp-manjaro
- Tails https://github.com/T2minator/mbp-tails
- Ubuntu https://github.com/marcosfad/mbp-ubuntu
Support for hardware is cross distro besides patches to the distribution specific kernel. The following repos contain kernel modules for said support.
- MacBook Bridge / T2 Linux Driver https://github.com/t2linux/apple-bce-drv
- Touchbar and Ambient Light https://github.com/t2linux/apple-ib-drv
Guides and similar¶
Note that if you are using one of the distributions listed above you should follow their install guides rather than the ones listed under this section. However they might still be important to gain a better general picture or to help with specific issues.
- State of Linux on the MacBook Pro (technical documentation) https://github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux
- List of Mac Model Identifiers on everymac.com
- Using Luks with the intergrated keyboard https://github.com/DimitriDokuchaev/GrubLuksUnlock
- Adding macOS like screenshot shortcuts to KDE Plasma https://gist.github.com/networkException/5a68299accc1872749c86301c1449690
- Disable thermal throttling (better performance but higher temperatures) https://github.com/yyearth/turnoff-BD-PROCHOT
- Arch on 2018 MacBook Pro https://gist.github.com/TRPB/437f663b545d23cc8a2073253c774be3
- Ubuntu on 2016 MacBook Pro https://gist.github.com/gbrow004/096f845c8fe8d03ef9009fbb87b781a4
- aunali1 (Arch Linux and Kernel Module work) https://github.com/aunali1
- JPyke3 (Manjaro) https://github.com/JPyke3
- marcosfad (Ubuntu) https://github.com/marcosfad
- MCMrARM (MacBook Bridge / T2 Linux Driver) https://github.com/MCMrARM
- mikeeq (Fedora) https://github.com/mikeeq
- networkException (Wiki maintainence and
mbpfanfork for T2) https://github.com/networkException
- Redecorating (Wiki maintainence) https://github.com/Redecorating
- roadrunner2 (Touchbar and Ambient Light Driver) https://github.com/roadrunner2
... and many more